Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thoughts To Think On

When I came up with the idea to do a "prequel" type of thing (aka write a quick analysis on what I think the book will be about) I admit, I cheated. See, I've already read about fifteen pages, but I still have no idea what's really going on. So, without further ado, here's my pre-reading reaction.

I'm firmly against censorship of books and literature. As a heavy reader since childhood, I revel in the written world. Trying to imagine a place where I was forbidden to pick up a copy of whatever I fancy reading at a certain time is unimaginable. As a writer, I can't help but imagine the feelings that would come with, "Someone decided your novel was inappropriate/offensive/bad in some way or another and they decided that people can't read it." If you put all that work into something, enough that you're proud of it and want others to read it, it would totally suck to find out that's not possible. Who are we to say what others can and cannot read? Or write? Books and literature should be open for everyone. It's one thing if a parent thinks something is unsuitable for their young children to read, but it's another to outright ban or censor a book. Plus, it usually has the opposite effect than desired. When people find out they cannot do something, they want to do it that much more. Enough with this banning and censoring babbling; I think you get my point.

Futuristic things have always fascinated me. Perhaps it is the idea of the unknown, the great what-if. When I was around ten, I played this game. Everyday, I would think of a time in my near future. Next week during an exam, so-and-so's birthday party on Saturday, the impending release from school. I'd picture myself then and there, and who I would be. Would I be different? What would, what could happen between then and now? And when I actually got to those events, I was usually disappointed. The "future" I thought for myself had little to do with what actually happened on those given days. But nonetheless, I love the idea of the future. My favorite genre of books and movies and television is without a doubt science-fiction. I love stuff that has a way of showing one way that things could happen in the days to come.

Besides the futuristic setting and basis on banning/censoring books, I'm not sure what else this novel plans to be about. I'm betting on some interesting relationships between characters, some serious drama, perhaps a rebellion/battle. I'm interested to keep reading, and I will.

As for the layout of this thing, I plan on having three posts for each part of the book. I'll have a reflection post for when I finish; look back on the story. So until then, why don't you pull out your copy of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury? Read along with me. I dare you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment